Patrick stump is dating
In 1086, at the time of the Domesday Survey, the manor of Liss might have formed part of the original endowment of the Abbey of St. The manor was later known as Liss Abbess, and the Abbess and nuns of Winchester kept the land until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1538.
The earliest wooden Church is normally regarded as one of the two churches mentioned as being held by two priests of the manor of Odiham in Domesday Book.
However, the comparative remoteness was useful when in the late Saxon at 900 Alfred the Great created an Abbey at Lyss Place under the control of St. The earliest written mention of Liss (as Lyss) may be that found in the Domesday book.
The tower of St Mary's was added in 1932 – again from local sandstone – and it became the Parish Church in 1959.
In the 1940s and 1950 it was often described locally and unflatteringly as "the Stump". He was quartered for a time at a New York hospital before making his way to Illinois, where he earned money by relating his experiences in a series of public appearances, reported by the local press.
Serving the community, St Peter's Church, (West) Liss, was built in stone in the 13th century, replacing the earlier timber structure.
The Chancel, parts of tower, and octagonal piers of arcade date from C.13.